At last the students from St Patrick's Primary, Blacktown can savour the delights of the kitchen garden, starting with a pumpkin harvest! It was discovered that pumpkins can be roasted, baked, fried, mashed, used as an ingredient for scones and best of all, soup can be made from them! That activity will happen later, but already students have made layered corn cracker sandwiches and willingly assisted with the wiping up ... so stayed tuned for more photos ... meanwhile, great activities are planned for the rest of the term and these should present the students and teachers with many more exciting challenges!
Kitchen Garden Activities-Term 1
· Introducing the students to the Kitchen Garden area.
· Harvesting of the present crops.
· Weeding and preparing the garden beds for new seedlings.
· Watering and maintaining the present tomato and marigold plants.
6 - 9
Begin new rotations. One rotation per group each week over the next 4 weeks.
1. Rose Cottage-Kitchen Garden sight word/Literacy activities (Nancy)
2. Tiling group (Robin)
3.Watering, planting, harvesting, composting, no-dig garden and general garden maintenance (Maria)
4. Cooking activity/recipes/working in the kitchen (Sue)
· Garden Maintenance
· Easter Egg Hunt
Early Finishers Activity
If groups finish their activity early, they can join the Garden Maintenance group & assist with watering, weeding, etc.
Wet Weather Activity